Our Telepsychiatry Program offers people in rural and underserved areas access to behavioral health services from afar.
The program offers interactive psychiatric care through secure, real-time audio and video-conferencing.
Services we provide through telepsychiatry include:
- Psychiatric consults
- Outpatient psychiatric care at Pennsylvania community behavioral health centers.
- Educational resources for behavioral health professionals.
Telepsychiatry also provides support for the full range of mental health conditions.
Benefits of Telepsychiatry
Research shows that telepsychiatry provides the same high quality care as face-to-face care for most people. Some patients prefer to connect with their psychiatrist through telehealth visits rather than in-person visits because it reduces anxiety.
More benefits for patients:
- Mental health treatment closer to home.
- Access to world-class psychiatrists and care.
- Less time and money spent traveling to appointments.
Benefits for health care providers:
- The opportunity to assist patients in underserved areas.
- Working as part of an academic telepsychiatry team with access to academic peers for support.
- Regular engagement with the telepsychiatry team and telemedicine support through UPMC.
- Opportunities to collaborate with resident psychiatrists on telepsychiatry projects.
Innovation in Psychiatry
For a growing number of people in need, telepsychiatry is the only way to access behavioral health services. That's why, in 2007, UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital launched its Telepsychiatry Program.
The purpose of the program is to address the shortage of mental health providers in rural locations throughout Pennsylvania.
In 2016, we received the Innovation Award from the Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania for our Telepsychiatry Program.
Today, the program serves 17 counties throughout PA without over 10,000 encounters per year.
Learn more about UPMC Telepsychiatry Services: