North Central Pa. boasts some of the richest, most scenic landscapes in the U.S.
If you love the outdoors, you'll delight in the pristine hills and forests of Tioga and Potter counties. Hikers, whitewater rafters, and stargazers flock here to be with nature at its most unspoiled.
What Are Tioga and Potter Counties Like?
Tioga and Potter counties abound with natural beauty.
The rolling hills and stunning vistas include:
- 10 state parks.
- More than 400,000 acres of state forest land.
Tioga and Potter counties also have charming small towns with cozy eateries and Victorian architecture.
Places to go in Tioga and Potter counties
With locations in Wellsboro and Coudersport, UPMC hospitals are near the following attractions:
- PA Grand Canyon. Part of the Tioga State Forest, the canyon is 45 miles long and has depths of nearly 1,500 feet. Also known as the Pine Creek Gorge, it includes steep canyon walls, waterfalls, and a 62-mile bike trail.
- Cherry Springs State Park. A stargazer's dream, this park has some of the darkest night skies in the eastern U.S. There's little to no light pollution, so you can often see the Milky Way and Northern Lights.
- Coudersport Ice Mine. East of downtown Coudersport, this cave forms icicles in the spring and summer (they melt in the winter). Tours of the site offer insight into this unique geological wonder.
- Downtown Coudersport. The downtown area offers ornate Victorian architecture, one-of-a-kind shops, and cozy restaurants.
- The Pennsylvania Lumber Heritage Museum. This hands-on museum features the history of Pa. logging. It includes the story of how the lumber industry led to the birth of Pa. state parks.
- Tioga Central Railroad. This train runs north from Wellsboro and gives riders a stunning view of the scenery. You'll also learn about the area's history from a special on-board program. Some trains offer a tasty meal to enjoy while you ride.
Things to do in Tioga and Potter counties
If it's an outdoor activity, chances are you can find it in North Central Pa.
Some options for adventure include:
- Cross-country skiing.
- Horseback riding.
Whether you're a nature-lover, history buff, or foodie, you'll find plenty to enjoy in Tioga and Potter counties.
Learn More About Life in UPMC in North Central Pa.